Anyway, in getting back with a schedule, DH and I decided it was very important that we get back into going to church regularly. We would go to my mom's church every so often when I felt like I wasn't exploding with homework on a Sunday. But we have decided I just need to buckle down a little more during the week so we have time to drive out to our church (it is only about a 35 minute drive) EVERY Sunday. And I am always glad when we do.
This Sunday, there was a sequence of things that happened. First I didn't want to get up this morning. I just wanted to stay in the bed. I had been up late last night due to a party my neighbor was having, early this morning due to a dog needing to go out, and just sleepy. But, that is always my first sign that I probably just need to get up and go.
Second, my pastor was back from Africa, and I really wanted to hear what he was going to talk about.
The songs that are sung always seem to fit right into my life. The first one that really had me thinking this morning and listening to the Spirit was Oh How He Loves Us.
"He is jealous for me
Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
and I realize just how beautiful You are and how great your affections are for me.
Oh, how He loves us so
Oh, how He loves us
How He loves us so"
While singing that song, I realize that God WANTS good things for us. He doesn't want us to live in misery. He doesn't want us to live with unmet needs, with unfulfilled desires. He wants us to live within what He has for us, but in the midst of blessings and not full of affliction. He is jealous for us to feel His grace, His mercy, His love and affection. He wants us to see His beauty.
While still lingering here and hearing the message of God in those words, the next song started...
"Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord (repeat)
Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint You won't grow weary
You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles"
If I wait upon the Lord, my strength will rise... because He is my defender, He doesn't faint or grow weary.... And he offers comfort.
AND THEN, Pastor Rodney talked about apathy in the church... it was very good, and very real. It was not a "feel good service" (which is one of the reasons I love that church... the Pastor preaches truth...)
It was good, and I am glad we went.
No comments:
Post a Comment