If you are trying to be a good friend to someone with infertility,
kudos to you! Your support and friendship can mean the world to them.
Here are 15 things to never say to a friend (or coworker, family member,
total stranger) that is facing infertility.
"Well, I have the opposite problem! My husband just walks in the room and I get pregnant."
That's great for you. However, this comment is just not a very
uplifting thing to say to someone who can't get pregnant. It turns the
conversation on yourself, and won't make matters any better. Please
avoid comparing their infertility to your blessing of fertility.
"Just relax and then you'll get pregnant."
This is a very common tip that many infertile women receive. It's
inappropriate, because it's simply not true. While stress and tension
can affect fertility in some ways, just relaxing isn't a cure for
infertility. If that were true, the world would be a much more populous
place! It's like saying to someone facing cancer, "Just relax and then
you'll be healed." Also, this comment assumes that they can't relax,
which is probably not true, and it's not encouraging them to make such
assumptions.
"Why don't you adopt?"
I'll
admit that several years before I was even married, and knew that my
husband and I would have infertility issues, I once found myself talking
to someone who could not get pregnant. My first thought was "Have you
considered adoption?" Little did I know how inappropriate that comment
can be. (Fortunately, several years later i was able to apologize to
her.) Adoption is a very loving choice, but it's not possible for some
couples. Some simply aren't ready to give up the dream of having a
biological child. Some couples may not qualify for adoption because of
health issues, background, or simply cannot afford it. Also, chances are
they have definitely already thought of adoption and they'll let you
know when they're at that point.
"Just be patient, if it's God's will, He'll bless you with a child."
Some similar versions of this comment are "God will give you a child when you're ready." Or, "Maybe this is God's way of saying you're not meant to have kids."
These comments are perhaps the most hurtful and insensitive things you
can say to an infertile women. The truth is, no one knows God's will,
and making statements like these are like putting words into God's
mouth. Sure, we can make some pretty good guesses about God's will, but
we don't know. It's like saying to a mother whose child is dying of
cancer "Maybe this is God's way of saying you're not meant to be a
mother anymore." Or, to a parent who's child has been kidnapped, "Just
be patient, if it's God's will your child will be found."
That
being said, I do feel that facing trials such as infertility develops
perseverance. I can look back at this time and see how God worked in my
life. But, I do not believe that all tragedies are God's will, and no
one should ever assume that.
"Why don't you just get a dog?"
No offense to dogs (I have one and she's great) but a pet and a baby
are not the same thing. That comment won't help her at all, trust me on
this one.
"Once you adopt I bet you'll get pregnant."
Although this does happen, statistically it is very, very rare. This
statement also conveys (in a small way) that a biological child is
better than an adopted child. Please avoid ever saying this to an
infertile friend.
"Well so-and-so didn't have any kids..."
I had a relative say this to me once. It's just not very comforting.
Not to beat a dead horse on comparing it to cancer, but it's similar to
saying someone who found out that have a terminal illness, "Well, Great
Aunt Martha had cancer and she died."
"Have you tried.....(insert advice here)?"
Trust me, they've probably tried it. More than likely the advice you
have isn't going to help them, so refrain from providing little tidbits
of advice. Unless you have been in her shoes exactly, it is not your
place to be playing nurse.
"You can have my kids, I don't want them." Um, that one's pretty self explanatory.
"Well, at least you..."
Any comment that starts with "at least" probably isn't going to be
very encouraging to someone facing infertility. She has, more than
likely, realized how blessed she is to be married, have a good job, etc,
and making comments like that only minimizes the problem. If you want
to helpful, never make a statement like that.
"Why don't you try In Vitro Fertilization?"
This comment sounds helpful, as you are suggesting treatment, but it's
nosy and not really something you should ask. Many couples (such as my
husband and I) did not feel that in vitro was morally and ethically the
right decision. Also, with each attempt costing about $12,000 (or more),
some couples cannot afford this option.
"Enjoy your childless time that you have now."
It's common to want to point out that they can still travel, have time
to themselves, get manicures, etc. But, truthfully, this isn't the
lifestyle that she wants and its hard to enjoy something you didn't plan
for. Also, more than likely all of their money is going towards medical
bills, not extravagant vacations and such.
"I understand. It took us 5 months to get pregnant."
Taking 5 months to conceive and being diagnosed with infertility are
completely different situations. I know you may be trying to be helpful,
but its best not to play the comparing game.
"Why don't you just take a vacation or something, maybe that'll help?"
That's fine to suggest, if you want to pay for it. But, truthfully a
vacation won't fix a medical issue. Please do your best to avoid
recommending that.
"Well, if I had known how difficult kids were, I wouldn't have signed up!"
An acquaintance made this comment to me once. Truthfully it didn't
bother me. But it's a very negative comment and won't make someone feel
better. It is turning the conversation on yourself and minimizing the
problem. Your friend or acquaintance facing infertility may have more
patience and mothering skills than you, and it's wrong to assume that
she's like you.
In conclusion, please remember that infertility
is a grieving process. They are grieving a shattering dream, something
they've probably desired since they were a little girl. The best thing
you can do is listen, pray for them, and support them through this time
of trial.
Sources: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/fertile.htm
I can totally relate!!
ReplyDeleteSo true....I can relate too! Anna I hope all is going well. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteI could not have said it better myself. Although, I would add that I don't think it's ok to ask non-infertiles about their baby plans either. Maybe they don't know they are infertile yet, or maybe there are other sensitive issues surrounding their baby-making story. In other words, don't ask about it unless the woman has made it clear that it's ok to talk about it, whether she is infertile or not.
ReplyDelete