Verses 2-3 of this Psalm says "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake."
When I used to read this Psalm, I never even thought about where the writer was when he wrote about these wonderful green pastures and peaceful still waters. I never even began to think about where his soul found refreshment... but tell me, in the mountains, where are the greenest pastures? Where are the stillest waters? The top of the mountain has springs that flow... the raging rapids that go to the bottom of the mountain into the valley... it is there, in the VALLEY where the water pools and becomes still... it is there in the VALLEY that the pastures grow green...
So it is in the midst of darkness... it is IN the Valley of the shadow of Death that we can find peace. We can find restoration... we can find strength to make it back up to the top of the mountain.
Dear God, please help me to remember that it is in the darkest moments of my life that you offer peace, rest, refreshment. And only then will I have the strength to make it to the top of the mountain... FOR YOUR NAME'S SAKE!!!
One of my favorite Bible verses. : )
ReplyDelete